If you want a perpetual stream of inspiring and energizing ideal clients clamoring for your services and products, then you must build relationships of trust. Without trust, then it doesn’t matter how well you’ve planned or what you’re offering. If a potential client doesn’t trust you, nothing else matters.
So how do we create connection and build trust? Let’s take a look at the Six Keys to Creating Connection. Knowing the answers to these questions will ensure that the offers you make to prospective clients are right on target.
- Who – Who are you trying to create connection with? Who is your target client or customer? The more specific you can be, the better. Once you have done this, choose one person (or organization) within your target market to focus on. Identifying and gearing your marketing to a specific individual (or organization) allows you to make the important emotional connection that is the first step in developing a relationship with your potential client.
Action: Identify your target client or customer.
- What – What do they want to buy when they look for you? What are the kinds of products and services they think will solve their problems or help them reach their goals? What’s going on in their life? If you don’t know, put yourself in the shoes of the client or ask your target market. This helps you to look at what is relevant to offer. Be clear on what it is they are looking for rather than what you might like to offer.
Action: What are your potential clients looking for?
- Where – Where do they look for the products and services? Is it a referral from a service provider or a friend?; the Chamber of Commerce?; a bookstore?; the web?
Action: Where do your ideal clients look for you?
- When – When do they look for what you are offering? What’s the trigger? What needs to happen in their personal or business life for them to purchase your services?
Action: Describe the situations that will likely drive potential clients to seek your products and services.
- Why – Why you? How is it that you are the best choice for the people you are meant to serve? What is it that is unique and special about you or the solutions you offer?
Action: Why should your potential clients choose you?
- How – How do you want them to engage with you when they find out about you? Sign up for your newsletter?; attend a teleseminar or webinar?; call?; email? What’s the first no barrier to entry thing you want them to do to sample your services?
Action: How do you want your potential clients to interact or engage with you?
Clearly defining these six keys will help you to determine what you want to offer your potential clients as you create your sales process and to build trust and credibility in an authentic way.
The Six Keys to Connection are excerpted from Book Yourself Solid® by Michael Port and is a registered trademark of Michael Port & Associates LLC. Used with permission. Sherry Dutra is a Certified Book Yourself Solid® Coach and Trainer.