How do you want to spend your second adulthood? What does that even mean? Well, according to 2014 data gathered by the National Center for Health Statistics, 65 year olds can anticipate a life expectancy of another 20 years. Woohoo! 85! Given that about 75 years ago, 65 was the typical end of life, we’ve come a long way. And yet, we often neglect to create a clear vision of how we want that chapter of our lives to unfold. We have an unprecedented opportunity to live full, vibrant lives. To make the most of our time, we must have a comprehensive vision. While being prepared financially is what most people think about, we all know that isn’t the only facet of life.
Below, I’ve introduced 3 of the 6 key arenas in which to paint the picture of your ideal second adulthood and reignite your life. It doesn’t matter what your age is today, it’s never too early to start dreaming.
Career and Work:
• How interested are you in continuing to work in some capacity?
• What dream career might you now want to pursue?
• How can you create better alignment between your values and desires and the work that you engage in?
Health and Wellness:
• How well do your health practices support your physical well-being?
• How well do you live to the fullest, regardless of the conditions that arise?
• What are your attitudes and beliefs about maturing in age?
Finances and Insurance:
• How well are your attitudes and information about money serving you?
• Are you working with a trusted financial planner to develop a truly workable plan?
• How confident are you that your financial plan will sustain you and your family for this stage of life?
Take a few moments and imagine what you’d like to create in each of these life arenas for the second half of your adult life. With proper planning, you can make this transition a meaningful and fulfilling one.
Stay tuned for my next blog which will cover the remaining 3 key arenas to explore.